Search This Blog

Monday, August 31, 2015

Giordano's: A Little Slice of Pizza Heaven

The Story: I grew up on Felix and Oscars pizza in Des Moines, IA. I love this pizza. There is nothing in the world that comes close to this deep dish, sauce on the very top, pizza. Every single time I go back to hometown I eat this pizza. I eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinner until it's gone (sad face). I have been patiently waiting for the last five years of their promises to start shipping their pizza's across state lines. Unfortunately, I still do not see that happening anytime soon. So I make do in-between visits.

Plans to meet my best friend from high school in Chicago for a weekend enters the picture. Said friend knows how much I'm obsessed with this pizza, so for my Christmas and birthday presents she sends me two pizza's from her favorite pizzeria in Chicago. I'm at work when I'm delightfully surprised by two freeze-dried pizza's from Giordano's. I had know idea what it was until a co-worker of mine excitedly tells me it's the best deep dish pizza in Chicago. Now I'm sure this point is debatable among people who live/are from Chicago. There are rivalries about everything in that city! Even freeze-dried this pizza was pretty damn good, and the closest thing to Felix and Oscars that I had ate in the last six months.



This was a must eat place for us while we were visiting. We ate dinner at this lovely pizzeria on our second night in town, which happened to be a Friday night. We made reservations and I'm glad we did. It was a 65 minute wait for people who were walking in the door without reservations! The décor of this pizzeria was funky and fun!

 
 

Can I just take a minute to tell you how much I love brick décor. I love it! Even with our reservation we had just a little bit of a wait, but it was well worth it. The waitress was super nice and friendly, even with how busy she was. We started off with Bruschetta for our appetizer. I have to be honest and tell you, I wasn't really expecting it to be that good. My mom makes the best bruschetta in the world and nothing has ever come close to hers. I was pleasantly surprised and would rate this as the second best bruschetta I have ate.


The pizza was subperb and well worth the wait. The last time I ate it was 6 months before this trip and I was really looking forward to it. You can get any sort of pizza you want, but we went with the deep dish, cheese pizza. There is just something about the deep dish pizza that I never ever have toppings put on it.

Does this not just look so delicious?!?

I would highly recommend Giordano's be given a spot on your "eating" list, while in the city. They are reasonably priced and I just learnt that there are several locations in Orlando! Yay next trip to Orlando (November) I will be eating here! There are several locations in the city of Chicago and it's surrounding suburbs.

2 comments:

  1. I SO remember Giordano's Pizza from my last trip to Chicago. It was AMAZING! It looks like it still is! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love deep dish Chicago style pizza and thin New York style! This is a definite foodie place to visit if your in the city. They will even ship pizza's across the country!!

      Delete